Product quality control / technical and thematic validation
GeoVille specialises in the quality assessment of digital spatial data. Quality assessments provide users with the evidence that a specific product or service yields useful information with a predictable quality.
Generally there are two different kinds of quality
- Verification is carried out in parallel to the production process. It normally provides a qualitative feedback which is meant to improve the data quality. Typical examples of verification are the country visits carried out by GeoVille during the Corine Land Cover production.
- Validation is performed after the end of production. It is an independent quality control process with the aim to assess the accuracy of the delivered database in quantitative terms.
|Quantitative verification and validation
Different data types created from EO data require different quality control methods.
- Vector maps – blind remapping of discrete land cover categories
- Raster maps – blind point validation of continuous information at selected locations
- Change maps – spot-based validation of change objects
|Soil sealing (raster map)
||Urban atlas viewer (vector map)
||EEA data viewer (CLC changes)
The quality criteria developed by the GMES User Network (GNU) are intended to increase the users' understanding of product quality and product design:
- Support the users’ work – integration in users’ procedures
- Service orientation – transparent production chain
- Reliability – known production method, independent quality control, limitations specified
- Applicability – completeness, timeliness, resolution
- Sustainability of the data systems – INSPIRE compliant, interoperability, meta data
GeoVille has a long track record in quality control activities including the development of validation methods and intensive discussions with the user community on quality criteria and accuracy measures.
- GSE Land: methodological developments and verification/validation
- geoland-2: methodological developments and verification/validation
- GMES Urban Atlas: technical conformity control and being part of the independent expert team carrying out the thematic validation on site of the contractor’s premises
- GNU: GMES User Network, which also dealt with the identification of appropriate quality measures
- Soil sealing and High Resolution Layers
GeoVille was contracted by the Luxembourg Ministry of Environment to draft the updated specifications for the national land use/land cover reference map entitled the Occupation Biophysique du Sol (OBS).